Water and Hydration
The human body is made up of approximately 65% water. Water is essential for the proper functioning of the body.
Its main functions are the following:
- ELIMINATE toxins and metabolic wastes
- TRANSPORT nutrients and oxygen into cells
- REGULATE body temperature
- MAINTAIN skin hydration
An average adult loses 2.5 liters of water daily through breathing, sweating, or urine elimination. Therefore, it is essential to bring this quantity of water to our body every day in order to maintain our vital functions. Except in the case of physical activity, we need about 1.5 liters from beverage or water intake and 1 liter from food intake, daily. Particular attention should be paid to infants, elderly and sick persons, who are more prone to dehydration. Similarly, hydration should be increased during a heatwave or during physical activities due to the perspiration caused.
Water transport through the skin is done from the inside to the outside. From the inside of the body, water moves towards the dermis, then reaches the epidermis, the most superficial layer of the skin, to finally evaporate.
It is important to maintain a well-hydrated epidermis in order to:
- Ensure a soft, smooth, and radiant skin
- Maintain the skin functions: barrier and exchange
- Slow down the skin aging process
The only way to hydrate our skin is to drink enough water every day. Moisturizing cosmetics do not provide water but reduce the amount of water vapor escaping from the epidermis.
Cosmetics ingredients have three different strategies to maintain skin hydration:
- By retaining water as “sponges” in skin cells: these are the HUMECTANT AGENTS
- By reinforcing the intercellular cement and softening the skin by filling spaces between skin flakes: these are called EMOLLIENTS
- By slowing down the water evaporation thanks to the formation of an occlusive physical barrier on the surface of the skin: these are the FILMOGENIC AGENTS
GERnetic International products mix these 3 ingredient types. With skin care protocol associated, they act at all skin hydration levels.